Aims is an on-line survey on the educational, professional and migration paths launched in September 2016 in France, the United Kingdom and Spain, to study the individual trajectories of students and of academics born abroad and living in the three countries. The questionnaire is divided into 6 modules: demographic and socio-economic characteristics,education, professional history, research practices, migration trajectory, and future prospects.
The target population is composed of:
• Students: all students born abroad (i.e., outside the country they are studying in) and enrolled in a first- or second-level Master’s or PhD programme in a higher education institution in France, Spain or the United Kingdom, regardless of discipline;
• Academics and researchers: all Master’s or PhD graduates working in higher education and/or research in France, Spain or the United Kingdom, regardless of level or status (post-docs, research assistants, junior researchers, senior researchers, associate professors, full professors, temporary teaching attachés, etc.), including those born in France, Spain or the United Kingdom.
The aim of the survey is to study the new dynamics of student, academic and researcher mobility in the direction of the three countries by analysing
• the characteristics of current student and academic and researcher mobility toward the three countries;
• individual migration, education and professional trajectories;
• conditions for integration into the academic and research labour markets of France, Spain and the United Kingdom;
• the impact of institutional context (migration policies and arrangements for attracting students) on these dynamics;
• research practices and academic ties with the country of origin.
The survey will make it possible to compare these dynamics in these three different European receiving contexts.